Running for Office
Below are the requirements outlined by the City Charter and Election Code. On the date of the election, each of the council members and mayor shall:
- be a United States citizen;
- be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election;
- not have been determined by a final judgement of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be
- Totally mentally incapacitated; or
- Partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;
- not have been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities;
- have resided continuously within the state of Texas for 12 months, and in the city of Daingerfield for the 6 months immediately preceding the deadline for filing an application for a place on the ballot;
- be a registered voter in the territory from which the office is elected as of the date of the filing deadline for a candidate’s place on the ballot
- (for a write-in candidate, as of the date of the election).
- shall not be indebted to the City such as property taxes, utility bills or municipal court tickets;
- shall not hold any other public elective office of emolument,
- and shall not be directly interested in the benefits or emoluments of any contract, job, work or service for the City, or interested in the sale to the City of any supplies, equipment, material or articles purchased where the amount of the purchase exceeds $100.00;
- nor shall either of them be the owner of one (1%) per cent of the outstanding stock in any public utility or public service corporation rendering service within the City
In accordance with state law, the City Secretary's Office will accept applications from qualified persons interested in running for an elected office during the filing period.
The City of Daingerfield does not require a filing fee to apply for a place on the ballot.
May 6, 2023 General Election
First date to file an application for place on the ballot.-January 18, 2023
Last date to file an application for place on the ballot.-February 17, 2023
During the filing period, qualified persons may file as candidates Monday through Friday, at the City Secretary's Office at City Hall, 101 Linda Drive,
Mayor and two council places will next be elected in May during even-numbered years(first Saturday in May).
- May 4, 2024
- May2, 2026
Three Council places will be next elected in May during odd-numbered years)first Saturday in May).
- May 3, 2025
- May 1, 2027
Election Day(May 6, 2023) polling location: J.D Parrish Administration Building, 200 Tiger Dr. , Daingerfield, TX 75638.
Early Voting (April 24 to May 2, 2023) polling location: City Hall Council Chambers, 101 Linda Dr., Daingerfield, TX 75638
- I want to run for City Council. What is the first thing I need to do?
Two forms are required to run for City Council: (1) Appointment of Campaign Treasure and (2) Application for place on the ballot.
These forms may be found here.
101 Linda Drive Daingerfield, TX 75638
903-645-3906 ext. 9